Newcomer's guide to SEP resources
Only someone who is a superuser can create a new account. Good examples of these all-powerful beings are currently Yaxun, Gboyega, Ohad and Bob. Here's the procedure:
Become root on oas
- Look in /etc/passwd, and select a unique user ID for the new user. It's easiest to select the highest user ID number in the file, and then just add 1.
- Select a group name for the new user. If this is a new SEP student, then use the sep group name. If the student is from another group but is participating in one of our classes, then use the class group ID.
- Run the following command: useradd -u <user_id> -g <group_name> -s /bin/tcsh -m -d /homes/sep/<username> -c “first and last name” <username>
- passwd <username>
- Run the following command: gpasswd -a <username> <group_name> to add the new username to the list of users of the group to which it belongs
- cd /var/yp
- make (this will update the NIS user database)
- Log in as the new user (ssh newusername@vostok)
- cd /usr/local/share/setup/skel
- cd ~
- log out and back in as new user again, everything should be set.